hill log.

Click here for logger instructions

Affiliates

ScottishHills.com Shop

Forest Way B&B and Bunkhouse

Scottish Hills: Forums

www.scottishhills.com :: View topic - 242. Strathcarron to Tornapress
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

242. Strathcarron to Tornapress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.scottishhills.com Forum Index -> On the level
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwdJockey
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:
Munros: 282
Corbetts: 221
Grahams: 36
Donalds: 89
New Donalds: 118
Sub 2000s: 23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: 242. Strathcarron to Tornapress Reply with quote

TRIP REPORT: Show trip details

242. Strathcarron to Tornapress - 19th October 2018

Not the most inspiring of walks with the weather forecast to be overcast with heavy rain, coupled with doing some of the walk in the dark!
This was to be my last section in "filling the gap" caused by an injury six weeks before and the shortest walk of my three-day trip. The problem really was the public transport situation. The earliest time for a bus to/from my end point was about 11:00, which meant I would not be walking until 11:30. Although I could have completed the walk in the hours of daylight available, I did not want to be kicking my heels for 5 or 6 hours while I waited for a bus. So this is what I did.

I had slept in the back of the car at a small pull-in on the Bealach na Ba mountain road the night before and set my alarm for 05:00. It was pitch black when I set off down the road to Tornapress. I had brought my bike up on this trip in the event of public transport not being available. I chained the bike to snow gates and drove into Lochcarron. I set off from Lochcarron down the quiet cul-de-sac road to Ardaneaskan a 06:00. I expected the road to be very quiet at that time of the morning. For the first couple of miles there was street lighting although no pavement. I would not have been happy about walking along the main road in the dark, but I felt ok about walking along this road.

I was wearing my hi vis vest and a strobing head torch. I also carried a hand torch, with bright LED lighting if any traffic approached. I met only 3 cars throughout the entire length of the road and two of them were where there was street lighting. The rain started after about a mile down the road and would continue off and on for the rest of the day. At Port na Fearna, the street lighting ceased and I was in the dark. It would be another hour and a half before any reasonable daylight was available. I turned my strobe light to the energy-saving red light and continued on in the dark. I have always liked walking in the dark, at least along pavements or roads.

I passed through the hamlet of North Strome, nearby to where the ferry used to go to Stromeferry across the loch. As I walked along the road through the Old Scots pine plantation near Leacanashiel, I was able to switch my torch off. The public road ended at Ardaneaskan, by which time the greyness of the morning was apparent.

Early hours of the morning on the Ardaneaskan road

Dawn at Leacanashiel looking across Loch Carron

I headed up an Estate track and dropped down to Loch Reraig. I was heading North East now and followed the Reraig Burn. I was looking for a footpath sign that branched off from the Estate track after 1 km. I got to a point where I knew I had missed the sign for the footpath. I retraced my steps and found the sign albeit surrounded by high dying bracken. The footpath climbed gently over open moorland and down into Loch Kishorn to the village of Achintraid. I was back on a metal road and continued through the hamlet of Ardarroch which soon joined the A896 Kishorn road. I plodded along the main road for a couple of miles until I came to my chained up bike at Tornapress. I was rather relieved that the bike was still there, having been on show since 5:30 that morning.

I began the 6 mile cycle ride back to Lochcarron and to my surprise I only had to get off and push three times. As I arrived back in Lochcarron the bus which I originally had planned to take was departing for Tornapress, which made me feel pretty good. However, I still had the small section to walk from Strathcarron to Lochcarron, a few miles. This I did by cycling out and walking back...pushing my bike.

Not a great walk with few photo opportunities and poor light and heavy rain, but satisfying that I got the walk done in good time and had finally plugged a gap that had been bugging me.

At Ardaneaskan looking across to Plockton

Heading along Loch Reraig – (poor photo quality)

Looking back to Loch Reraig

Hidden sign for Achintraid path (poor quality photo)

Heading over open moor to Achintraid

Looking down to Achintraid and Loch Kishorn

Heading towards Ardarroch

Approaching Tornapress

Distance today = 22 miles
Total distance = 4,374 miles

Route Map
[googlemaps https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1qqvgIKOLnpqal2xDiBtXKJq9htB07_7Y&w=640&h=480]

Last edited by OwdJockey on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Squiz
Sir Hugh
Sir Hugh

Logged:
Munros: 55 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 3 (2nd round)
Grahams: 1 (2nd round)
Sub 2000s: 570

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sort of section where, had I ever decided to do anything as challenging as a round the coast walk (which is now unlikely), I would change my mind. Good for you for ploughing on. I suppose that now you have so many sections "in the bank" changing your mind could never be an option, unless you develop trench foot, or some other ghastly limb extremity condition.
OwdJockey
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:
Corbetts: 221
Grahams: 36
Sub 2000s: 23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I take on something Squiz, I like to finish it, so I generally take on something that I know I can finish, barring infirmity.

I always regret not finishing or continuing a Spanish GCSE Course (night school) while I was working. This was about 10 years ago - if I had continued with trying to learn the language I would have probably now had a reasonable degree of proficiency. Its still a goal to learn a second language, but with other things still on the boil I doubt I will. Sad Sad
Squiz
Sir Hugh
Sir Hugh

Logged:
Munros: 55 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 3 (2nd round)
Grahams: 1 (2nd round)
Sub 2000s: 570

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwdJockey wrote:
When I take on something Squiz, I like to finish it, so I generally take on something that I know I can finish, barring infirmity.

I always regret not finishing or continuing a Spanish GCSE Course (night school) while I was working. This was about 15 years ago - if I had continued with trying to learn the language I would have probably now had a reasonable degree of proficiency. Its still a goal to learn a second language, but with other things still on the boil I doubt I will. Sad Sad

Maybe you could listen to a Spanish teaching aid as you walk along. R tried to learn Spanish about 10 years ago, and kept it up for a while, as he was so ashamed of not being able to communicate with the guy who drove the mules whom he thought was unjustly bearing the brunt of the organiser's worries when he went to Peru with 3 others. All he could do was smile benevolently and loan him gloves on cold passes.
summerwalker
Monarch Of The Glen
Monarch Of The Glen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squiz wrote:
This is the sort of section where, had I ever decided to do anything as challenging as a round the coast walk (which is now unlikely), I would change my mind. Good for you for ploughing on. I suppose that now you have so many sections "in the bank" changing your mind could never be an option, unless you develop trench foot, or some other ghastly limb extremity condition.

Funnily enough that’s almost exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this, it takes a certain kind of determination to sleep in your car at this time of year and get up at 5 in the dark to do what is essentially a road walk with limited views. More power to you Very Happy cheers
NeillyDunn
Brocken Spectre
Brocken Spectre

Logged:
Corbetts: 200
Grahams: 144
Sub 2000s: 0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked your height since you started? You must have worn off at least 6" Laughing

I will need to back to the start of this marathon (actually, marathon does not come near to describing it) and start following it again.............. A couple of days reading and a bottle of malt Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.scottishhills.com Forum Index -> On the level All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: