hill log.

Click here for logger instructions

Affiliates

ScottishHills.com Shop

Forest Way B&B and Bunkhouse

Scottish Hills: Forums

www.scottishhills.com :: View topic - Craiglee. Loch Doon
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

Craiglee. Loch Doon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.scottishhills.com Forum Index -> Sub 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekpete
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:
Munros: 267
Corbetts: 72
Grahams: 55
Donalds: 66
New Donalds: 85
Sub 2000s: 46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Craiglee. Loch Doon Reply with quote

TRIP REPORT: Show trip details

Date: 6/11/11
Hills: Wee Hill of Craigmulloch. Craiglee. Loch Doon
Present: Just Me
Weather: Dry and sunny with a cold wind on the top.
Distance: 3mls approx
Height Ascended: 1200ft approx
Time taken: 4hrs Total. Loafing time 1.45hrs

Sometimes donít you just want to get to the top of a hill and go Arghhh! I certainly did on this occasion. Having not been out on a hill for a good number of weeks due to weather and unexpected o/t at work, this particular Sunday which had a really good forcast ,would have been ideal for getting out on a decent leg stretcher. However, I had a flight booked with Loch Lomond Seaplanes in the morning which I was looking forward to very much given the forecast. My previous booking some 6wks before had been cancelled due to wind and rain which was fair enough, after all I want a good view of the hills from the air. However, I got a txt from them on the Saturday night advising fog was forecast and I was to call in the morning before setting off for Glasgow. I was up sharp and looking at web cams all over the place. Everywhere was clear apart from flipping Loch Lomond where the plane was moored up. Made the call and sure enough, my flight was cancelled again Evil or Very Mad . By the time I calmed down and got to thinking about a walk somewhere it was to late to be heading up North, so Craiglee at Loch Doon sprang to mind as a small hill I had been meaning to do for several years. I had set off late one time from Loch Bradan to do a couple of smallish hills before Craiglee, but ran out of time to get to Craiglee.

Wall to wall blue skies as I headed to Loch Doon Very Happy . Hit a bit of fog at Dalmellington but nothing to serious and I was soon through it on the other side as the road gains some height. About a mile after leaving Dalmellington you turn right onto a single track road for Loch Doon. About 7mls down to the starting point at the Castle.

Heading down into a bank of fog.

Looking up Gaw Glen.

Gaw Glen bridge.

The fog dispersing over Loch Doon.

It was a joy to be standing here and watching the fog glide by over the perfectly still water. The only sounds to be heard was the cackling of geese in the distance. Very Happy Very Happy As I drove on towards the castle I was surprised to sea a Seaplane coming down the loch towards me Surprised .

Seaplane.

After getting over the surprise of seeing this hurtling towards me, I realized it was a model seaplane Laughing . You couldnít make this up could you! After my disappointment at not getting my flight, here was a whole flipping squadron of the things buzzing around rubbing salt into the wound. On closer investigation, it was a local model club who fly here on a regular basis and they were really enjoying the calm conditions. They were also amused at my tale of woe about my cancelled flight.

This should have been me!

I watched for a short while till the salt began to nip Laughing .

The sun blazing down on the southern end of Loch Doon.

Finally got to the Castle car park around 11.30am which had one other car parked up. Got booted up and had a look at the castle first.

The Castle.

Not hard to find the start just a few meters from the castle.

The grassy path splits but merges not much further on.

Cross over a forestry road and continue on the other side.

When you reach this sign take the track up to your right.

It was real pleasant walking on easy ground and very warm for the time of year.

Heading for Wee Hill of Craigmulloch.

As I reached the first steepish section of the day I noticed 2 walkers near the summit of Craiglee. Given the colour and type of car in the car park I wondered if it was 2 fellow shillers beating me to it. The path also seems to fade into thin air at this point.

Across to Craiglee.

Craiglee and the summit of Wee Hill of Craigmulloch.

Craiglee from the summit.

I never spent a lot of time here( bet that shocked you all Laughing ) as I was keen to see if it was another 2 shillers on Craiglee. I left the summit and picked up a bit of a path but soon lost it again. I could see an atv track going across the flat boggy ground and on up Craiglee to the s/w of my position, but rather then head over to pick it up I kept to the right a bit as it was a shorter bog trot to rockier ground.

Boggy ground to Craiglee.

Looking back to Wee Hill of Craigmulloch. Spot the atv track.

A short climb on rough tussocky ground brings you up onto the broad ridge with a cairn. The main summit is just a few minutes further on.

On the ridge.

As I approached the summit I instantly recognised the 2 walkers as none other as Squiz and Realsquiz. I was not hard to recognise either with my trade mark red Paramo shirt and white tash Laughing .

Approaching the summit.

It was a nice surprise to bump into them both in my neck of the woods and we chatted for a while before they set off back down.

Squiz and Realsquiz departing.

There was a bit of a cool breeze at the summit, so I had to put the jacket on before settling down for a bite to eat and then get busy with the camera. This might be a small hill but the views on an afternoon like this were pretty darned good Very Happy .

Zoom to Dalmellington. Spot the wind turbines.

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.

Aisla Craig in the distance. Spot the wind turbines.

Summit pose Cool .

Taking in the view over Loch Finlas and Loch Doon.

I took a wander over to the far western side of the ridge for a look just to see if there was a route for a longer trip sometime. Looked like a lot of bog trotting so maybe reserve this idea for a drought.

Looking back across a small lochan to the summit.

Another look at Loch Doon.

It was time to start heading down and I strolled back over to the start of the ridge. The sun had moved further round by now so a better view was available to the southern end of Loch Doon.

Loch Doon and The Rhinns of Kells.

I am forever telling people how quiet the Galloway Hills are, and lo and behold another 2 walkers come striding up the hillside. The also new Squiz and Realsquiz from their Marilyn exploits. Chatted away for a while before going our separate ways.

Busy Galloway hillside.

I made my way down and crossed the bog following the atv track and then made for the edge of the wood at NX481959. It was rough walking following the edge of the wood but it soon brought me back onto the ascent track, where it was an easy walk back down to the car park in the warm sunshine.

Nice warm light on Black Craig and Coran of Portmark.

Moonrise.

This final shot really caught my eye as the sun back lit the water falling from the old aquaduct.

I highly recommend Craiglee for a short walk if you are in the area. The views are excellent and you are in a wonderful area of Scotland Very Happy Very Happy . I got my wife to check the Loch Lomond web cam from home and it was still foggy there. I also saw a few trís from around that area showing a nice inversion, well nice for them but not for my flight. I got it re-booked for the following Saturday and gave up a shift at work for it. Saturday dawned to bright blue skies and no fog, but it was windy. Sure enough, I got a txt advising it was too windy and I was cancelled yet again! Arghhhhh!!!!! It is booked again for the 4th December, no doubt it will be too snowy or the Loch will be frozen over Laughing .
Squiz
Sir Hugh
Sir Hugh

Logged:
Munros: 55 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 3 (2nd round)
Grahams: 1 (2nd round)
Donalds: 89
New Donalds: 118
Sub 2000s: 570

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to meet you on top. I would just have opted out of posting a TR if you had beaten me to it as you have such fantastic photos, as usual.... especially of the model sea-planes. I can't believe your trip has been cancelled yet again Shocked Shocked
Trekpete
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squiz wrote:
Great to meet you on top. I would just have opted out of posting a TR if you had beaten me to it as you have such fantastic photos, as usual.... especially of the model sea-planes. I can't believe your trip has been cancelled yet again Shocked Shocked

Nice meeting you both as well. Always takes me at least a week to process my photos from a trip so I am always a bit behind Laughing If I get cancelled yet again the air will be blue.
Hils
Sir Hugh
Sir Hugh

Logged:
Munros: 250
Corbetts: 163
Grahams: 158
Donalds: 88
New Donalds: 112
Sub 2000s: 208

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photos pete, what an interesting trip, funny who you meet. Very Happy
johnm
Brocken Spectre
Brocken Spectre

Logged:
Munros: 273 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 12 (2nd round)
Grahams: 220
Donalds: 51
New Donalds: 63
Sub 2000s: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked like a nice walk, just shows size isn't everything.
russell
Dangler
Dangler

Logged:
Munros: 0
Corbetts: 0
Grahams: 0
Donalds: 0
New Donalds: 0
Sub 2000s: 0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was a great day out. Its a small world.
TundraBoy
- Beard of the Year Winner 2013

Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:
Munros: 7 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 54
Grahams: 105
Donalds: 62
New Donalds: 81
Sub 2000s: 192

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great report and you certainly picked yourself up and had a good day out anyway.

The irony of the model seaplanes was a bit cruel, but meeting Squiz and Realsquiz must have been a big plus.

Thanks for posting. Smile
goth_angel
Monarch Of The Glen
Monarch Of The Glen

Logged:
Munros: 101
Corbetts: 9
Grahams: 4
Donalds: 1
New Donalds: 1
Sub 2000s: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't having much luck with that flight, are you? Sad

Some lovely pictures there. I probably ought to know this but where exactly is this?
Dangler
Dangler

Logged:
Munros: 35
Corbetts: 16
Grahams: 24
Donalds: 31
New Donalds: 36
Sub 2000s: 27

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab pics, especially of the mirrored-Loch.
Irene
Yeti
Yeti

Logged:
Munros: 68
Corbetts: 19
Grahams: 11
Donalds: 30
New Donalds: 32
Sub 2000s: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb photos, Pete. Might head down that way on Sunday but going by the weather forecast it will look nothing like that. Laughing
machriemoor
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:
Munros: 30 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 34
Grahams: 9
Donalds: 5
New Donalds: 5
Sub 2000s: 26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really beautiful photos - I especially like autumnal colours. You had a superb day didn't you? Very Happy Couldn't see any wind turbines though
essemm
Dangler
Dangler

Logged:
Munros: 152 (2nd round)
Corbetts: 49 (2nd round)
Grahams: 56
Donalds: 7
New Donalds: 7
Sub 2000s: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least the day made up for the missed seaplane trip. That's a fascinating last photo of the curtain of water dripping off the viaduct.
Trekpete
Big Grey Man
Big Grey Man

Logged:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goth_angel wrote:
You aren't having much luck with that flight, are you? Sad

Some lovely pictures there. I probably ought to know this but where exactly is this?

No more than 45mins from Irvine Tessa. Head down to Ayr, follow the bypass and turn off onto the A713(past the hospital) to Dalmellington. After Dalmellington, Loch Doon is signposted on your right.
scottishlandscapes
Walker
Walker

Logged:
Munros: 0
Corbetts: 1
Grahams: 0
Donalds: 0
New Donalds: 0
Sub 2000s: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing events happen once in a while Peter, that was a strange and fascinating thing to happen with the delays on your flight and then find this in front of you. The continued walk was less eventful but still full of wonderful images and well presented by you as I would expect.
Been down there at the loch side a few times now, but never encountered the miniature flying club sadly.

Dougie
summerwalker
Monarch Of The Glen
Monarch Of The Glen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said it is a small world, nice views and lovely photos - well done for making the best of your day - cheers Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.scottishhills.com Forum Index -> Sub 2000 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: